I missed the occasional longer essay on why a particular book was good, or a more in-depth look at a particular author or multiple books which resonated together in some interesting way. I also missed the feedback and advice from friends and strangers.
Hence the revival of this blog. Fifty-two weeks, fifty-two reviews. My editorial guidelines will be:
- Things will not spread out evenly. There will be months with only one review, and weeks with three.
- If a book only needs or deserves a paragraph, that's all it will get.
- Books don't have to be new (freshly published) to be read or reviewed. In last years reading list there were classics, lost or misplaced 19th-century novels, re-reads of favorites from the last 20 years, and yes, some newly published works. This is not intended to be a review source for mostly new books, it's for me (and you) to talk about what I'm reading.
- Breadth matters. Expect to see technical books, history, biography, science, fiction of various genres, and the occasional real cheese. Cheese is good, in moderation.
- It may not always be books. Newspaper articles, blogs, individual short stories, graphic novels - it's all going to be fair game.